Frankly, My Dear, Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

You know you're obsessed with "I Love Lucy" when...

So, today was my first day of school. It was only a half day, which is just what it sounds like, and you come home from school before lunch. Tomorrow is another half day but by Thursday I'll be getting back into "the swing of things" with my first full day and classes and all of that. I think I was truly depressed when I changed back into that usual plaid skirt and blouse (yep, I go to a private school) and my new school shoes (with little bows at the toe - oh! Something to get excited about!).

Over all, though, this is going to be my last year in a school which I have pretty much been going to forever, so I guess I ought to enjoy it (and with all the perks that come from being on the top of the heap). I have a really nice homeroom teacher (she was my teacher last year and I was thrilled to pieces when I found out I'd have her for homeroom again), and even the same classroom because of that reason. My class is really tiny (just twelve of us.  The Destructive Dozen??? The Dangerous Dozen??) , which I really like because we all know each other quite well and it's more of a little family then a class.

So, yeah. I'm not all that thrilled about going back, but if there is one good thing about back to school it is that FALL IS COMING! Okay, don't think ill of me, and and you'll probably be all, "Wow, Rianna's so weird" but fall (and winter - yes, winter too) are my favorite seasons. You may call me partial for liking the cold weather so much because I'm a February baby, but I don't do it to be different or anything - I actually love the fall and winter. I love all the sweaters and all the warm, fashionable coats and not to mention I have an obsession with boots. I love staying in on cold days with the leaves turning golden-red and watching an old movie or curling up with a book (and a cup of hot chocolate). Most of all, I love snow and I love Christmastime, which is my favorite time of the year (another reason for me to love fall/winter - all the holidays! Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's... and my birthday, of course. ;]).

Well, call me crazy, but I love it. And so despite the fact it's still August, it's nearly September, which means only two weeks until fall, and yes I really do <3 it that much!



***

So, you've probably seen those kind of lists like "You know you're obsessed with Harry Potter" or insert any other kind of culture phenomenon like "Twilight" or whatever. I was disappointed to find that I could not find a list like that applying to "I Love Lucy" (hmph. Well. of course. What would you expect?).

But since I know so much about the show, I'm like why not write one myself? Brilliant! So... here it is. If you have watched all the episodes you ought to understand all of them, if you're more of a casual fan you'll understand most but perhaps not all. Anyway, I hope it makes sense... and I hope you enjoy ;)

YOU KNOW YOU'RE OBSESSED WITH "I LOVE LUCY" WHEN...
  • Whenever you see a golf game or someone watching golf you feel the great urge to tell out, "Dormie!"
  • You randomly find yourself saying "dun't" instead of "don't."
  • You often find yourself sawing "dawnsy" when someone asks you, "How are you feeling?"
  • The word "Tropicana" does not evoke thoughts of orange juice,  but more appropriately, a nightclub.
  • You find that you can sing along to every Ricky Ricardo song word for word.
  • Whenever you hear a saxophone playing it sounds like "Glo Worm" to you, even if it isn't.
  • "I tippy tippy toed through my garden..."
  • You keep waiting for "Real Gone With the Wind" to come out.
  • The last name "McGuilicuddy" holds a special place in your heart.
  • The names "Flo Pauline Lopos", "Marian Strong", "Carlotta Romero" and "Joe Harris" all sound familiar to you.
  • You teared up when Lucy and Ricky cried at the end of  Ricky's "We're Having a Baby, My Baby and Me".
  • You have always wanted to stomp grapes with your feet.
  • You have ever wanted a bottle of "Vitavetavegamin."
  • Forget about Tennessee Williams; it's Tennessee Ernie.
  • "623 East 68th Street, Apartment 3D" is more than just an address to you. (If this address was real, then the Ricardos and Mertzes would be living in the East River!)
  • You know how to speak Martian.
  • "The time has come" sounds really familiar.
  • You always wonder who the real Madame X was.
  • Lucy Ricardo wasn't born in Jamestown, New York. She was born in West Jamestown (which, in reality, does not exist).
  • The words "hatchet" and "water cress" go together.
  • Stealing John Wayne's footprints from Grumman's Chinese Theater makes a lot of sense to you.
  • When you think of a nightclub, you do not think of dimly lit lounges with techno music pulsing through it, but Club Babalu.
  • "Black lace blue jeans" rings a bell.
  • You know all the lyrics and the dance steps to Lucy and Van Johnson's "How About You?"
  • You stopped subscribing to TV Guide when they put "I Love Lucy" second on their list of "The Greatest TV Shows of All Time."


***
I hope you enjoyed my little list. I had fun making it, and if it gets a good response I may do more editions in the future or similar lists with different obsessions. ;)



9 comments:

Natalie said...

Hello there,
A) I hope you have a good school year.
B) I start school next week. I can't decide whether I'm elated or utterly horrified.
C) I also love fall/winter. Snow, rain, sweaters, hot chocolate - but I live in a desert so I just have to keep dreaming about it.
D) I LOVE your "you know your obsessed when" list. That was a brilliant idea. I think I'm gonna have to make a Barbara Stanwyck version. ;) hehe.
<3

Anonymous said...

I, too, love the winter and the fall. I was born in January, so maybe it has something to do with it ;) I'm not crazy about snow, though. It makes it very hard to walk down the streets and it can get pretty gross.
About the list: although I didn't get most of it (I only saw 1 episode of I love Lucy and a few clips on youtube. I plan to remedy that soon), I thought it was a great idea, too. You should definitely do more of those.
Oh, and I hadn't realized you were still in high school. You "sound" more mature.

Kevyn Knox said...

The best time of year is from mid September (when the temps cool down around here) until early January. The Holiday Season is indeed the best time.

Rianna said...

@Natalie - Thanks, I hope you have a good one, too :) I probably get a lot more snow than you do, but it's not enough for me, which is why I want to live in New England one day. It snows so much there! Actually, it really depends on the winter. Usually we don't get that much but two winters ago we got more than 2 feet of snow and two or three blizzards. I was, of course, in love. :) I'm glad you enjoyed it and a Stany one would be so cool - I'll be looking forward to reading it!

@classicmovies - Yeah, maybe being born in the winter affects us! I don't know! ;) Glad to know I'm not alone. Happy you liked it and I think I'll do more in the future that are slightly more versatile -- but you really should see ILL though. It's the greatest. :) Yeah, I tend to be kind of "old" for my age but I don't mind. It sets me a apart. ;)

@Kevyn - I'm glad to see one more person also agrees with me! That's my favorite time of the year and the Holidays are the greatest, aren't they?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes I come accross as older than I really am. Other times, it's the other way around :)
I've been meaning to ask you this: how can I follow your blog? I didn't find one of those buttons that you click on to do it.

Rianna said...

Yeah. I guess part of it is I'm an only child and so I am around adults a lot, and that's the way I was brought up. But truthfully I think it's my personality, lol :)
Oh, you should be able to see this thing on my sidebar that says "Frankly, My Dear, You're Following Me." It will have a button underneath called "Join This Site" and it should have my list of members underneath. Sometimes it does not show up for some reason, so you may have to try reloading the page a couple of times. Let me know if you're still having trouble. ;)

Anonymous said...

Got it. Thanks a lot.

Rianna said...

You're welcome, and thanks for following :)

Kathryn said...

Thank you, thank you!! I so enjoyed this. I've been a Lucy fan for years, and this was really awesome. May I use this on my blog if I link back to here? Thanks!

Post a Comment

I love getting comments and appreciate them so much. Comments don't require moderator's approval but I will remove your comment if it is spam or offensive. Thank you.