Frankly, My Dear, Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Great Recasting Blogathon! [hosted by Natalie & I]

Hello lovely followers,

I've got some exciting news (as you might be able to tell from the title) that I hope will make up for my neglecting this blog in the past few months! And that news is that this summer I will be co-hosting a blogathon with my friend Natalie over at In the Mood!

I guess I'd better start off with filling you in on the basic details:

What is this blogathon about? The idea for this blogathon came out of a silly post I did on tumblr about recasting The Sound of Music (1965) in the 1940s with Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman in the leads. (Don't worry, I only half meant it!). Then Natalie and I got to talking about this and we decided it would be a fun idea for a blogathon. So the premise for this blogathon of ours is as follows: to recast a film made after 1965 in a year pre-1965 with actors in the lead roles and a director that were popular at the time. Supporting cast is optional. You have to explain why you chose the actors & director. We are allowing two recasting per film. If this sounds a little confusing, here is an example: the well known modern film Titanic (1997) was made in 1997, but for this blogathon you could change the year, for example, to 1945, cast Ingrid Bergman in the Kate Winslet role, Cary Grant in the Leonardo diCaprio role, and switch the director from James Cameron to George Cukor. (Use your imagination, okay?? :D) Make sense?!! (If not, please, by all means LET ME KNOW and we will try to explain this better.)

When is this blogathon taking place? July 27 - 28 of this year, which is conveniently a weekend.

What's this co-hosting business all about? So if you are interested in signing up (which I hope you are!), read this carefully! As this is a two day blogathon, Natalie's blog will be covering one day and mine will be covering the other. We will you assign you a date when we get closer to the blogathon. IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT ON EITHER MY BLOG OR NATALIE'S, BUT NOT BOTH. This will make it a lot easier for us to keep track of who is participating and no one will get left out.

I'm interested in participating! Do you have any banners? Yay, of course! For your sidebar decorating pleasure (and to help get the word out!) we have -






That's about it! You have more than a month to sign up, but the earlier the better, right?? You can leave your comments now!! We're rather excited, and grateful for your support. :)

Here's hoping this blogathon turns out great!!


Below is the running tab of participants, as well as the movie they chose to recast (if they already knew). Remember, only two posts allowed per film so bear that in mind. Thanks to all who have already joined in, the classic film community is the BEST. And to those who haven't, well, what are you waiting for? ;) *cue cheesy commercial music* 


LIST OF PARTICIPANTS 
Carole and Co. HouseSitter (1992)
Lasso the Movies | Chinatown (1974)
WarrenWilliam.com | Wall Street (1987)
Waitin' on a Sunny Day  | Calendar Girls (2003)
Film Classics | The Winds of War (1987)
Reel Revival 
Journeys in Classic Film | Sixteen Candles (1984)
Widescreen World
Perfect Number 6
Let's Misbehave: A Tribute to Precode Hollywood
Bette's Classic Movie Blog
Shades of Black and White |Shark (1984)
Critical Retro  |The English Patient (1996)
The Great Katharine Hepburn |Harry Potter (2001 - 2011) series
Mythical Monkey |Oceans 11 (2001)
Marlene Dietrich: The Last Goddess |The Devil Wears Prada (2006) 
The Most Beautiful Fraud in the World  | Pulp Fiction (1994)
I Luv Cinema
The Hollywood Revue | Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day (2008)
Film Flare | Mr. Brooks (2007) 
A Person in the Dark
Best of the Past  | The King's Speech (2010)
No More Popcorn  | Ghostbusters (1984)
The Great Movie Project  | Avatar (2009)
Cinematic Katzenjammer  | The Princess Bride (1987)
Random Ramblings of a Demented Doorknob | Crazy, Stupid, Love (2011)
Eternity of a Dream | Inglorious Bastards (2009)
Defiant Success | The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999)
(L)Azzy Blog 
In the Mood | Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981), The Proposal (2009) [guest post], Liar, Liar (1997) [guest post]

56 comments:

VP81955 said...

Sounds like a wonderful idea -- count me in!

Now, to come up with a post-1965 film for Carole Lombard, as well as a leading man from her time. Perhaps I will ask members of "Carole & Co.", which celebrates its fifth anniversary today...

Rianna said...

Wonderful! Glad to see that Carole will be represented; we'll be looking forward to your post.

Congratulations on your fifth anniversary - I commend you on being able to write such great posts mainly focused on Carole nearly every day!

Laura said...

Holy crap, I am all about this. Can it be a movie based on a TV show? Because I'm all ready to get crackin' on a House of Dark Shadows remake with some of my oldie faves.

Sign me up, and fantastic idea~

Paul at Lasso The Movies said...

This sounds great! I'm interested in participating as well. I already have lots of good ideas, but I will figure out which one will be best!!

Sophie said...

I'd love to participate in this blogathon, it sounds like it's going to be so much fun! Like Laura, I'm wondering whether we could remake a tv series with pre-1965 actors/actresses? Anyway, kudos to you and Natalie for coming up with such a great blogathon idea! :)

Rianna said...

Glad you like the idea!! Yep, that's totally fine, we've got you down for House of Dark Shadows - can't wait to read it!! :)

Rianna said...

Wonderful - we have you down and you can figure out what movie you would like to do later! :)

Rianna said...

You're totally welcome to do a tv series! Thanks for participating Sophie and we can't wait to see what you come up with. And we're so glad you like the idea, we're afraid no one would, lol. Hopefully this should be fun! :)

Laura said...

Ooh, I hate to be a jerk, but is there any way I could just change that to Burton's regular Dark Shadows? I just realized a few of my favorite characters aren't in House. :( No biggie if you can't! Thanks for having me down!

Perfect Number 6 said...

This sounds like so much fun! I'm tossing around the idea of doing a remake of Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas and/or The Hangover (I love Vegas movies if you can't tell)

Rianna said...

The one that came out this year? Sure thing, no problem! :)

Rianna said...

I'm glad you like the idea! :) When you decide, just let me know (I think a recasting of the Hangover would be particularly interesting, by the way :D)!

Emma said...

I love this idea!! I am new to blogging and this will be my first blogathon at my blog 'Lets Misbehave: A Tribute to Precode Hollywood". I haven't got any ideas yet but I want to do something with a definite Precode slant!

Laura said...

Thank you!

Madeleine said...

RIANNA RIANNA RIANNA! I'm back from my hiatus and would love to participate but I'm away that weekend - scheduling should sort that - but I don't know if I'll have time to write a post with all the rehearsals for the show I'm in :-S Would you mind awfully putting my name down and then I'll see if I can write one? Sorry, I bet that's really annoying :-(
P.S. How is you?
P.P.S. Did I miss anything major in the world? (apart from Judy's birthday, god damn it.)
P.P.P.S. This has turned into an epic novel so you might wanna message me your answers on Tumblr :-D

Rianna said...

Hi, welcome to blogging! I'm really glad that our blogathon will be your first :D We'll put you down and will be looking forward to your post, a Precode slant sounds interesting for sure!

Rianna said...

BETTE! I'm so glad you're back :DD We'll put you down and cross our fingers that you'll be able to get something written, it's no problem. :) I hope you get the chance to though because I can't wait to see what you would write. (Especially if it would involve recasting Kate, just saying. ;D)

Ok, I'm going over to tumblr to finish the rest :)

Lê said...

Hi, Rianna! This is a great idea, and I had to think a lot to decide which movie I should pick. My decision is finally made: I'll recast The English Patient (1996). The cast will be awesome, but I don't think the Hays Code would allow it to be done. ;)
Kisses!

Unknown said...

I'll right, I'm in! Can I do Harry Potter? Please please please?
http://thegreatkh.blogspot.com/

Rianna said...

Wow, The English Patient? This sounds awesome, I really can't wait to see what you're going to conjure up! I'm really excited for this one :D Thanks for participating!

Rianna said...

Harry Potter?! Oh, wonderful, so excited to see what you write up! Thank you for joining us! :)

Mythical Monkey said...

As I mentioned to your co-host over at In The Mood, I'd like to recast the 2001 version of Ocean's 11 as a silent movie.

Joseph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joseph said...

This does sound fun! On behalf of Marlene Dietrich: The Last Goddess, I'd like to call dibs on The Devil Wears Prada, casting Marlene Dietrich and Jane Wyman in the lead female roles because their chemistry in Stage Fright reminds me so much of Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway's. I've haven't thought of who'll replace Stanley Tucci and Adrian Grenier, but it'll come to me.

Rianna said...

Great, we have you down and will be looking forward to it!

Rianna said...

Marlene Dietrich to me seems like the absolutely perfect person to play Miranda Priestly. (And being one of my favorite modern movies, I'm really excited for The Devil Wears Prada to be covered at the blogathon). Thanks for signing up, and we already can't wait to read yours!

iluvcinema said...

Sounds like fun. I am in … just need to pick a film.

Rianna said...

Great, thanks for joining us!! :)

Paul said...

Rianna, sorry it took so long to make up my mind, but I would like to re-cast Chinatown if thats alright.

Rianna said...

Great! We're putting you down for Chinatown :)

Unknown said...

This sounds great! I'll think of a film and stuff, and if I come up with something quickly I'll most definitely participate!

Rianna said...

We'd absolutely love to have you on board! Take your time deciding - I don't even know yet and I'm co-hosting this thing. ;)

Unknown said...

Can you save Mr. Brooks (2007) for me? I think got something cooking here. :D

Rianna said...

Saved! :)

Sophie said...

Sorry it's taken me so long to decide, but I've finally settled on Calendar Girls (2003). I can't wait to start writing my post! :) Thanks again for hosting such a fantastic blogathon!

Rianna said...

No problem! We'll put you down for Calendar Girls - sounds great! :) And thanks for joining us, Sophie. :D

Marcela Costa :} said...

Can I participate with The King's Speech? I wanna make it to around 1945 :)

Abby said...

I'm in! (Abby of No More Popcorn). I'd like to recast Ghostbusters :)

Unknown said...

Could I join in with Avatar? You can put me on whichever blog is easiest for you. I'm The Great Movie Project... I think I'm LAMB #997... something in that neighborhood.

Nick said...

I'm going to put my name in but I can't guarantee I'll be able to enter, as I will be driving across country at the time. However, I can write the article ahead of time and then post it somehow.
I'm going to go ahead and snag "The Princess Bride", if it hasn't been taken already. Thanks!

Rianna said...

Sounds fantastic! Glad you'll be joining us! :)

Rianna said...

Okay, awesome! We have you down!

Rianna said...

I'm pretty sure you'd be able to schedule your post, but anyways, if you have to pull out at some point, that's not a problem. I hope you can make it, I love "The Princess Bride" and would be excited to see what you'd do with it!

Rianna said...

Okay, fantastic! Thanks for joining us!

Nick said...

I'd like to join in, if that's cool, with Crazy, Stupid, Love. I'm Nick from Random Ramblings of a Demented Doorknob. Thanks!

Lesya said...

AMAZING idea!
I'm in. I would love to recast Inglourious Basterds! :)
The name of my blog is Eternity of Dream.

MovieNut14 said...

Ooh, I'm in. Dibs on The Talented Mr. Ripley. The name's Anna, and the blog's Defiant Success.

SigurRos82 said...

I don't own a blog, but I *had* to tell you: this is so cool! I've (day)dreaming for a "Out Of Africa" version with Cary and Ingrid instead of Redford and Streep for years ;)

Rianna said...

Awesome, we'll add you to the list. Glad to have you with us!

Rianna said...

Fabulous! Thanks for joining us!

Rianna said...

Great, we've got you down - it's our pleasure to have you!

Rianna said...

A version of Out of Africa with Cary and Ingrid sounds absolutely FABULOUS in my opinion - the two of them had such electric chemistry together, I seriously wish they had been married, lol. It's too bad you don't have a blog, I would love to read what you'd do with it. if there's any way you think you could participate, let me know and we can work something out. :)

Unknown said...

I know I'm a couple days early, but I just posted my contribution: http://thegreatkh.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/the-great-recasting-blogathon-2012.html

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this such a great information about shoutcast streaming i really inspire your post i shared this link to my all facebook and twitter friends because this link helpfull for everyone

undefined admin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
undefined admin said...

http://www.full2telugu.com/2014/12/mahanati-savitri-birthday-special.html

Post a Comment

I love getting comments and appreciate them so much. Comments don't require moderator's approval but I will remove your comment if it is spam or offensive. Thank you.